Funerals are definitely getting less stuffy, as evidenced in the trend in funeral music.
Some folks are steering clear of the traditional organ fugues and soppy hymns and picking more contemporary classics, according to a report in the Sydney Morning Herald.
Like AC/DC’s Highway to Hell.
Frank Sinatra’s My Way continues to be the most popular song selected for funerals, the report said, but an array of others are coming closer.
Top five popular songs:
1. My Way – Frank Sinatra/Shirley Bassey.
2. Wind Beneath My Wings – Bette Midler/Celine Dion.
3. Time To Say Goodbye – Sarah Brightman/Andrea Bocelli.
4. Angels – Robbie Williams.
5. Over The Rainbow – Eva Cassidy.
Other top picks (no rankings):
– Highway To Hell – AC/DC.
– Hallelujah covered by talent show winner Alexandra Burke.
– Bat Out Of Hell – Meatloaf.
– Spirit In The Sky – Doctor and the Medics.
– Another One Bites the Dust – Queen.
Just because of the ominous beat and the title, I’d go with something befitting like Pink Floyd’s Waiting for the Worms.
TucsonCitizen.com Editor Mark Evans would go for Ralph Stanley’s O Death or the Bugs Bunny theme song.
Tucson Citizen’s Jennifer Boice would select Monty Python’s Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.
“That’s a good one,” she said, “but I also like the Lumberjack Song.”
What song would you want played at your funeral?follow rynski: