Whether you are new to yoga or have been enjoying a regular practice for years, the illustrated yoga guide of BONY YOGA brings yoga a delightful new twist (pun intended). The guide outlines real postures but expands on them by pointing out their practical uses in daily life, with cartoon skeletons as your personal yoga guides. Whee!
Why I Created It
Inspiration for the skeletons in Bony Yoga came when I was trying, unsuccessfully, to draw a cartoon gal in a yoga pose. I was having a tough time getting the positioning right, too distracted by her super-cute yoga outfit and all that skin.
Since I’ve always been a fan of skulls, skeletons and other creepy things, it was second nature to switch over to using skeletons as models for the poses. It was suddenly much easier to draw the poses properly. It was also a heck of a lot more fun.
The practical uses for various yoga postures came from daily life. The big inspiration came when I was doing a headstand in my Brooklyn apartment and saw all the dust bunnies and other jazz under the couch. The proverbial light went on at that moment, and I knew yoga had suddenly become not only a physical, mental and spiritual practice, but one that could enhance daily activities on a regular basis.
And yes, I vacuumed out the dust bunnies.
10 Reasons You Want It
- Takes the creepiness out of dead things, showing that skeletons are people, too
- More affordable than yet another super-cute yoga outfit (and almost as adorable!)
- Deepens your yoga practice by applying poses to everyday situations
- Gets you to vacuum under your couch
- Helps you balance while standing on treacherous subways and buses
- Gives you something do to waiting in lines
- Excellent teaching guide; used in children’s art classes for fun drawing activities near Halloween
- Great conversation piece during that awkward time just before yoga class when it feels like everyone is staring at and judging you
- Awesome gift for anyone who loves yoga, fitness, skeletons and skulls
- Second edition now available with new cover, convenient, take-along size and a must-read bonus poem at the end
More Mentions and Samples
- Facebook post created by Georgetown Yogas and Yamas (thanks, folks!)
- Bony Yoga gallery on ryngargulinski.com
Where to Buy It
UPDATE April 2017: This one has turned into a toughie to find online or around town. But I still have several copies to sell:
Bony Yoga’s second edition is easily recognizable by the purple cover (first edition is green). It’s available in e-book and print editions from various outlets.